Monday, May 31, 2010

PTSD and divorce


Actual Date: May 31, 2010
Historical Date: June 28, 1972
I came home to a note today. My wife left. She said I wasn’t the same person I was before the war and that she doesn’t think the baby she is pregnant with would be happy with me as a father. I didn’t bother trying to dispute that, she was right. I wake in the middle of the night trying to run back to that camp outside of Kontum. I’m constantly shaking and when I hear a loud crash even just for a second I find myself back in the field. I cant live with this and I don’t know how I’m going to find a job and live. The government is calling it Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and are offering compensation. Each day that goes by I find it harder and harder to try to readjust to normal life. I received a letter from the family of Duke, the guard mate who got me into cover when I was shot. He killed himself a few days ago, leaving a note saying he couldn’t take the noise anymore. Almost makes me wonder how I’m going to keep sane after these events. (1) (2)

No comments:

Post a Comment